Business Support Associate – WFP Global Office, Canada
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
Business Support Associate – WFP Global Office, Canada
We are seeking to fill a Fixed Term position of Business Support Associate G6, based in the WFP Global Office Canada located in Ottawa, Canada.
Please note that this vacancy announcement is being issued internally and externally.
Please note that candidates must be resident of the country (Canada), have a legal work permit there, and must reside within commuting distance to the location of the office in the duty station (340 Albert Avenue, Ottawa) at the time of application. If not residing within commuting distance at the time of application, candidates must be willing to relocate to Ottawa, Canada at their own cost before taking up the assignment.
WFP shall not be responsible for any costs associated with such relocation nor shall WFP assist or otherwise be involved in obtaining residency status or legal work permits. Preference will be given to candidates who reside within commuting distance of Ottawa, Canada
ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT: Business Support Associate – WFP Global Office, Canada
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies, and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. The Public, Partnerships and Resourcing (PPR) Division provides leadership and expertise to WFP’s global partnership, advocacy and resource mobilization efforts with the aim to ensure that the needs of people we serve are fully met and that Member States are effectively supported in achieving Zero Hunger and Agenda 2030.
In doing so, PPR engages with governments, the private sector, UN agencies, international financial institutions, academia, think-tanks, NGOs, and the public at large through HQ and WFP offices. These offices are in critical global hubs and key donor capitals (such as Ottawa), carrying out Department-related functions. WFP is intensifying its engagement with Canada, setting up a presence in the capital and bringing more visibility to WFP in Canada.
JOB PURPOSE: Business Support Associate – WFP Global Office, Canada
Reporting to the Senior Partnership Officer, the Business Support Associate will be responsible to coordinate and facilitate a full range of business support services in the areas of Finance, Budget, Procurement and Human Resources to ensure that services are delivered effectively.
The Business Support Associate will be required to use judgment in dealing independently with unforeseen daily problems and to demonstrate strong organization, confidentiality, proactiveness and client orientation skills while being a team player able to confidently and effectively communicate with a range of individuals.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive, nor exhaustive): Business Support Associate – WFP Global Office, Canada
- Provide dedicated executive assistant support.
- Prepare and/or consolidate comprehensive reports, documentation, correspondence, briefing notes, etc. and conduct research in the area of work.
- Actively seek and use feedback to improve business processes and procedures.
- Respond to complex business support queries in order to provide a timely and accurate resolution of enquiries for clients.
- Oversee the maintenance of records and databases to ensure information is organized and readily available for staff and compliant with all relevant regulations and policies.
- Revise and review correspondence and documentation, providing feedback and making amendments where appropriate, to contribute to production of these materials to time and quality standards.
- Assist managers in planning, monitoring and reconciling budget(s) to ensure that planned financial resources are used effectively.
- Assess and recommend improvements to procedures and practices, to contribute to the effective delivery of business support services.
- Provide a full range of complex business support services to staff to contribute to the effective functioning of business operations.
- Provide advice, support and/or training to junior support staff in the provision of business support services, in order to support their learning in providing business support.
- Coordinate tasks of junior colleagues to ensure support services are delivered consistently and to the required standards.
SPECIFIC POST REQUIREMENTS (As required by the Hiring Manager): Business Support Associate – WFP Global Office, Canada
- Experience supporting and/or coordinating financial services such as processing of payments/ VAT reimbursements, recording of financial transactions, financial reporting/statements, budget and bank reconciliations, budget preparation and funds monitoring and support internal control compliance.
- Experience handling administrative services, procurement and related processes, asset management and human resources recruiting, contracting , training and onboarding/separation processes.
- Experience maintaining/overseeing the maintenance of records, agreements and databases using various systems related to human resource, budget, administration, and procurement.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Good communication, client orientation and teamwork skills.
- Experience in supervising, supporting, and/or training others, as well as coordinating resources and organizing own work.
- Knowledge of ERP systems and specifically SAP Software.
- Experience working in a United Nations common system, international organization or non-governmental organization.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Education: Completion of secondary school education.
Language: Working knowledge (proficiency/FAO level C) of English. Intermediate level of French (level B)
Experience: Six or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the relative business stream with experience in general administrative work level.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Specialised knowledge of the application of common business processes, practical business support methods, procedures and systems used in area of work, gained through technical training and work experience.
- Good communication skills in order to provide specialised business support services to a wide range of individuals.
- Ability to analyse and interpret financial data and monitor budgets.
- Ability to proactively identify and recommend areas for improvement to the design and delivery of specialised services.
- Ability to build relationships with a variety of individuals across functions.
- Experience in coordinating the work of others and self and training and supporting others.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
WFP LEADERSHIP FRAMEWORK: COMMON STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOUR
Leads by Example with Integrity:
- Upholds WFP values, principles, and standards: Demonstrates and encourages others to uphold the WFP values, principles and standards
- Respects others and values diversity: Values diversity using respectful and inclusive language, and encourages others to do the same
- Stays focused and calm under pressure: Stays focused and calm when under pressure and encourages others to do the same
- Demonstrates humility and a willingness to learn: Shows humility and a willingness to learn and share knowledge, frequently seeking and acting on feedback, and taking up opportunities to develop
Drives Results and Delivers on Commitments:
- Delivers results for maximum impact: Holds self and/or others accountable for the delivery of results
- Delegates appropriately: Delivers results against delegated tasks and seeks guidance and support where needed
- Adapts readily to change: Responds readily to change adjusting work as needed
Fosters Inclusive and Collaborative:
- Is inclusive and collaborative: Promotes inclusive teamwork and psychological safety by sharing ideas and openly raising issues
- Gives timely and constructive feedback: Supports development for others by giving timely and constructive feedback
- Builds and shares new perspectives: Listens attentively to others to capture, learn, build and share new perspectives
Applies Strategic Thinking:
- Communicates and fulfils WFP’s vision: Fulfils WFP’s vision and is able to explain how their objectives support the vision
- Embraces curiosity and new ways of doing things: Demonstrates curiosity, and proposes new ways of doing things when relevant
- Analyses and evaluates data: Gathers data and shares knowledge to inform team decision making
- Considers the impact of decisions: Implements decisions and asks questions to understand the impact for wider objectives
Builds and Maintains Sustainable Partnerships:
- Builds partnerships: Builds partnerships by seeking out opportunities to work with others
- Collaborates to deliver common objectives: Collaborates with partners by sharing information and working together to deliver common goals
TERMS AND CONDITIONS: Business Support Associate – WFP Global Office, Canada
The selected candidates will be employed on a fixed-term contract.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in line with ICSC standards (http://icsc.un.org) including a competitive Salary. Please check the UN Salary Scale worldwide Salaries and Allowances (UN) and a salary calculator SalCalcInt (undp.org) for simulation.
- A hybrid working environment, with some remote working options.
- Holidays and leave, including 30 days of annual leaves per year for fixed-term positions.
- Parental leave
- Dependency allowance
- United Nations sponsored medical insurance plan.
- Pension plan
- Access to professional development and learning programs, online learning and learning path
- Access to staff well-being support
- Access to career development support
- Be Canadian residents holding a valid passport and/or identity card, or a valid Resident Permit to work and live in the country.
- Reside within commuting distance (100-kilometer radius or distance that can be covered within 1.5 hours by car or public transport under average conditions of traffic, weather, and roads) to the office location at the duty station (340 Albert Avenue, Ottawa). If not residing within commuting distance at the time of application, candidates must be willing to relocate to Ottawa, Canada, at their own cost before taking up the assignment. WFP shall not be responsible for any costs associated with such relocation nor shall WFP assist or otherwise be involved in obtaining residency status or legal work permits. Preference will be given to candidates who reside within commuting distance of Ottawa, Canada.
Please note that this is a local recruitment. Locally-recruited employees must have the right to reside and work full-time without restrictions in the country of assignment for the entire duration of their employment with WFP, failing which WFP reserves the right to withdraw an offer of employment and/or terminate the employment relationship. This right must be obtained independently by the candidate prior to applying to WFP, and WFP may seek proof thereof at any point during the recruitment process and/or subsequent employment with WFP. WFP shall not accept any responsibility or liability to act as a sponsor or to otherwise facilitate the issuance, maintenance, renewal, extension, or conversion of the candidate’s residency